The research 和 development tax credit (commonly referred to as the R&D税收抵免) practice conducts retroactive studies, 本年度活动, 风险咨询服务. Our professionals combine an underst和ing of tax law with engineering disciplines to maximize companies’ research credits 和 reduce their overall tax burdens. Your organization will be provided documentation to withst和 the highest level of IRS 和 state tax authority scrutiny.
What is the Research 和 Development 税 Credit (R&D税收抵免)?
R&税收抵免是由国会制定的，以保持美国的经济.S. businesses competitive in the global market 和 prevent job outsourcing. 2015年的PATH法案使这一信用成为永久性的. 任何业务, 无论大小, 开发产品或过程, 包括软件, 可能R&D税收抵免. 联邦税收优惠在4美元之间.5%和6.5% per dollar of Qualified Research Expenditures (QREs).
R&D 税 Study Finds $133,064 in state 和 federal R&D合同食品制造商的税收抵免
LBMC partnered with McGuire Sponsel to perform an R&D税收抵免 study for a contract manufacturer that specializes in developing new 和 improved formulations 和 manufacturing processes for the food industry. Our team identified $2,205,106 of Qualified Research Expenses (QREs) for tax year 2016. The resulting benefit earned $133,065 in total tax credits.
- Businesses with average gross receipts of $50 million or less for the prior three years can apply the credit to Alternative Minimum 税 liabilities.
- Eligible startups can use the credit to offset payroll withholding taxes. Startups using the provision must have gross receipts of less than $5 million 和 no gross receipts prior to the five taxable years ending in the then-current tax year. The credit towards payroll withholding taxes is limited to $250,一年有000人, but companies can carry forward excess credits to apply to future payroll withholding taxes.
Expenses eligible for the federal credit include wages, 供应, contract research 和 basic research payments to qualified non-profit organizations 和 institutions. While there are several ways to calculate the credit, the Alternative Simplified Credit base amount is 14 percent of qualified expenses that exceed a calculated base amount.
- 经典的R&D: Conducted based on a planned decision to develop new, 或改进, 产品或服务, 通常由R来指挥&D部门或团队
- 或有R&D: A project that begins without certainty about how to complete it, 和 started because existing expertise is lacking to fill an order
- 无计划的R&D: Arising from a sudden discovery that existing technology is insufficient during the filling of an order, 导致无计划的发展
A broad range of business activities qualify for R&D税收抵免 in various states as well as under the Internal Revenue Code. If your company operates in any of the following industries, you may benefit from an R&D税收抵免研究:
- 枪支 & 弹药
- 食物 & 日用消费品
- 家具 & 内阁制造业
- 石油 & 气体
Does your company qualify for the research 和 development tax credit?
In determining whether your business research activities qualify for the Research & Development 税 Credit, the activities must pass the four-part test:
- The goal must be to discover some technological information that does not already exist
- There must be a level of uncertainty related to the product or process development
- Any costs must be directly attributable to what the IRS calls a “process of experimentation,没有成功的保证
LBMC’s experts will aim to maximize research credits while providing defendable 和 conservative claims to the IRS. 联系 us today to discuss what opportunities you have available.